Monday, January 12, 2009

Additional Thought: Aggies Drop Opener at OSU (long)

My editor pointed out that I apparently struggled with the difference between BJ Homes and BJ Holmes.

I'm sure BJ Homes is a nice guy, or a nice place to work, but I clearly meant for all references to be to Aggie guard BJ Holmes.

Also - Chris Wall wondered why I left out my thoughts on Josh Carter. Short of using too many words already, I guess I just already filed his horrible night away.
But, since you asked Chris, Carter was held scoreless for the first time since a game at Tech on Jan. 24, 2007 - two years ago - he played 30 minutes and was 0-for-4 that night.

I guess part of the deal with Carter is that I also fail to understand why more offensive sets are not run to spring the guy. Carter is not much more than a great spot-up shooter. He still has a very hard time creating his own shot or creating off the dribble. That being said, you have a ton of things you can use and do to help get him open looks, but that is something very rarely seen from this year's squad. I would love to see him run off of double screens (we see this sometimes) or even off of triple screens (we hardly never see this) or even see the bigs step out against zone defense and zone screen for him on the wings. Again, there are tons of things you can do to get him open.

What happens way too often is that Carter just gets comfortable standing around on the perimeter or in the corner waiting for a wide open look. All you have to do is half-shade a defender his way and he's accounted for. Carter and Turgeon need to find more ways to force defenses to use extra energy and extra effort to account for him - in other words - keep Carter on the move all the time - don't just have him camp out on the perimeter.

OK - Now I'm done - seriously this time.

Carry on.
-sb

1 Comments:

At 1/14/2009 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still not a mention of Terrell Harris and what an incredible defender he has emerged to be this year. He's not held everyone he's guarded to 0 like that but he's been put on the other teams best player every game this year like they used to do with Dove and done a great job. Lot's of the credit needs to go to Harris for only letting him take 7 shots. I haven't looked at it but I'll bet he doesn't have many games where he only takes 7 shots. Bouldin from Gonzaga I think is good and he held him to 6 or 8 or something like that, I could have my teams mixed up. They got hammered by Gonzaga and then Michigan State back to back days.

I'll bet Carter has 20 or more on Wednesday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home